Friday, January 18, 2008

Nunya

You know...
"Whatcha doing?"
"Nunya business!"

More specifically, The Business of Being Born. Heard of it? The documentary about the case for home births/natural births vs. hospitals, executive produced by Ricki Lake, who is also in the doc.

Here, a quote from the Critic's Reviews on MSN.com: "The pic argues that the unnecessary medical interferences, the increase in Caesarean births for the sake of "convenience" and trendiness ("too posh to push") all conspire to institute a mechanical regimen that, in some cases, is inimical to the health of mother and baby." (You know what 'inimical' means? Me neither!) But I digress. More on this later. (Full review.)

Even more specifically, I want to talk about water births. New to the term? I've been hearing some excellent stuff about it (we officially became a believer of H2O's all-powerful reign in pregnancy when Mom was having some bad cramps).

An article excerpt on Babycenter.com says: "...hydrotherapy allows you to remain alert and in control. The soothing and pressure-relieving effects of the water promote muscle relaxation and may reduce pain, anxiety, and the need for medication."

Check out this amazing video (also on Babycenter; O, Babycenter, we bow down to thee!) of a water birth; when you've seen it, comment us and tell us what you think of it! There is nudity, but I think it focuses more on the completely natural aspect, rather than the doffing-your-duds mindset. Click here for the video; and here for a great article from Discovery Health giving you the H2O low-down.

Back to Business. Do I want to see it? Yes. Can I see it? No. Not yet, anyway. It's being screened at select cities, and if you want to reserve a DVD (available around March), click here to do it. If you're in Tucson tomorrow at 2 PM, pop over to the University Medical Center to watch.

Mom has mentioned she would like to do a water birth if she's allowed. Since she's classified as 'high-risk', we can't know yet if our doctor will want a C-section or if her fibroids are blocking the birth canal.

What do you think? Leave us a comment!





PS: Here are some snaps of me and Kev. I'll post some of Mom and Dad if I get permission (age=vanity!)




Here's Kevin either right before he spits or right before he pretends to jump over the rail. I forget.



















Here's me, styling what I like to call my "judgmental look".

No comments:

Visitors